The Subcommittee for Products follows the new and pending EU legislation on chemicals and its implementation in Finland. It takes part in drafting Finland's opinions on chemicals legislation under preparation in the EU.
The Subcommittee for International Affairs monitors, informs and takes a stand on international cooperation in the field of chemicals. The subcommittee monitors in particular: the Chemical Safety Programme of the OECD;
· EU provisions concerning chemicals and their coordination within the OECD;
· activities of the Chemicals Group of the Nordic Council of Ministers;
· the United Nations' sub-organisations; the Programme of Action of the UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), the Environment Programme (UNEP);
· Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM)
· the Intergovernmental Forum on Chemical Safety (IFCS);
· the North-Eastern Atlantic Environment Protection Commission (OSPAR) and the Baltic Marine Environment Protection Commission (HELCOM),
· activities of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE),
· preparation of the Globally Harmonised System (GHS) for the classification and labelling of chemicals
The subcommittee takes part in drafting Finland's opinions for the meetings of the competent authorities of the Biocides Directive. The subcommittee informs of topical issues concerning the Directive and takes care of the cooperation between both national and international parties relating to biocides.